Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Message From MLQG 2019 President

Welcome to the New Year!

2019 is going to be an exciting time for our Guild. I would like to personally thank Betty M. for her support and patience during her Presidency. Many of you know that I can be a little overzealous! I am truly honored to be your President for the next couple of years. I seem to have gotten myself more and more attached to each of you over the years, so I knew that should I be asked, I would accept the nomination. I learned a lot during my tenure as Vice President (2007-08 and 2017-18) and will be bringing those things into my Presidency. I will work hard to support the mission statement of the Guild and to listen to the membership for ways to do so.

By the way did you know that “the purpose of this guild shall be to further the art of quilting through education, to provide a means of sharing ideas, materials, skills, and fellowship, and to encourage self-expression through the art of quilting.” That will be my focus during my tenure, feel free to let me know if I am not living up to my promise. As I like to remind everyone, this is not my guild, it’s our guild. I know that there was some pressure to fill all the chairs this year, but we were unsuccessful. Perhaps that is a signal to us that we should look at what we have been doing.

Our executive board has been considering some radical and new ideas in support of our mission statement. We do some things well and we will continue to do these things as we have in the past. There are, however, some things that we are asking ourselves, “How can we grow and what needs to change?” This is your opportunity to add to the conversation. You are invited to the board meetings so watch your newsletter to see when they are scheduled and bring your thoughts and ideas. I will be bringing a suggestion box to each meeting (hopefully I will remember it each month!), so you can make your contribution that way if you prefer.

I joined the New York State Quilt Consortium last year and had a great time when I went to their annual meeting at Watson Homestead in September. The Consortium is made up of guilds and individuals from all over New York and Pennsylvania. This year I signed us up as a guild, so everyone can participate in their activities. They have a lot of fun and interesting things to do, as well as some scholarship monies that we can apply for. I am planning on attending their next meeting which will be on March 20,2019 with the Endless Mountains Quilt Guild hosting at the Presbyterian Church, Waverly, NY. I would like a group of us to get together and attend. Save the date if you are interested. Check out their info at www.qcnys.org.

There will be lots more to come as we talk and share throughout the new year. My challenge to each of you is to contribute where you can. Those small things that you do that often go unrecognized contribute to the collective personality of our Guild and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Always quilting in my mind,  Sylvia L.

No comments:

Post a Comment